‘Russia suspends all flights to Egypt’

0

Russian President Vladimir Putin agreed to suspend all Russian flights to Egypt after a recommendation by his chief of intelligence for a halt until the cause of the crash of a passenger jet in the Sinai Peninsula is determined.

Friday’s suspension came after several days of statements by British and American officials that it was possible a bomb on board had brought down the Russia carrier Metrojet’s Airbus A321-200, which crashed 23 minutes after takeoff from the Sinai resort of Sharm el-Sheikh.

There are around 45,000 Russian tourists in Egypt.

The crash on Saturday killed all 224 people on board. Russian and Egyptian officials had bristled at the statements, saying it was too soon to tell the cause.

The suspension, covering all of Egypt, is even more sweeping than that imposed by Britain, which had halted flights to Sharm el-Sheikh only.

“I think it will be reasonable to suspend all Russian flights to Egypt until we determine the real reasons of what happened,” intelligence chief Alexander Bortnikov Bortnikov said in televised comments. “It concerns tourist flights most of all.”

Russia’s emergency situations minister, Vladimir Puchkov, said wreckage from the plane have been brought to Moscow for tests.

“These are necessary samples from all parts where traces of explosives could be. All of these samples have been delivered to Moscow, and we are studying them,” Puchkov said.

Heightened security

The US Department of Homeland Security announced new security measures on Friday, including tighter screening of items before they are brought on board aircraft, for flights to the US from some foreign airports in the Middle East region.

White House spokesman Josh Earnest said the new measures were a “prudent response” to boost security procedures already in place and will affect fewer than 10 airports.

All the airports being asked to tighten screening of US-bound flights are in the Middle East, a US official familiar with the matter told the Reuters news agency.

Britain’s transport ministry, meanwhile, says it is working with Egypt to ensure flights bring home British tourists stranded in the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh.

The announcement on Friday came as one airline said it had been refused permission to fly some of its planes there.

Britain had on Wednesday suspended all flights to and from the resort over concerns a crashed Russian plane which flew out of Sharm may have been brought down by a bomb, but flights were allowed to resume Friday with special security measures – such as passengers would only be allowed to carry hand luggage.

“We are urgently working with the Egyptian authorities to try to ensure planned flights leave Sharm today,” a spokesman for Britain’s Department for Transport said.

Tourism setback

In a setback for tourism in Egypt, France and Belgium have advised their citizens against travelling to Sharm el-Sheikh, from where the Airbus A321 airliner took off before crashing in the Sinai desert.

Ireland, Germany, and the Netherlands have suspended flights to and from Sharm el-Sheikh.

Newsbd71/7 November, 2015

Share.

Leave A Reply


6 × three =